NLMK strives to manufacture products of the required quality at the lowest possible cost. To achieve this, we are implementing programmes aimed at improving the efficiency of production, including the integration of energy-saving technologies into production processes.
NLMK is working systematically to increase energy efficiency. Since 2000, 39 major energy efficiency projects have been implemented at Novolipetsk, with a total of over RUB 15 billion invested.
RUB of investments
energy efficiency projects
- The share of electrical energy generated by plants run mainly on by-product gases from coke and blast furnace operations has increased by 3.5 times. This, among other things, makes the Lipetsk site 56% self-sufficient in electrical energy.
- The volume of electrical energy generated by plants run mainly on by-product gases from coke and blast furnace operations has increased by 3.5 times till 77,1%
- NLMK Group continues implementation of green energy projects at Novolipetsk. The Company is building top-pressure recovery turbine plants that generate energy from the blast furnace gas escaping at high pressure. Earlier, Novolipetsk commissioned a new recovery cogeneration plant with installed capacity of 150 MW.
- NLMK is increasing operational efficiency and reducing its environmental impact by means of implementing energy-saving technologies, ensuring self-sufficiency in energy resources and using by-products of steelmaking operations for energy generation. These steps are part of a key Strategy 2017 objective to gain leadership in operational efficiency.
- In October 2012 Novolipetsk one of the first steel-industries passed compliance procedures with Energy Management System ISO 50001 requirements and confirmed the, in 2015.
- In April 2015 Novolipets passed compliance procedures of BSI Management System with Energy Management System and got the certificate till 2018.
Energy intensity of NLMK Group production (Gcal per tonne of steel) (amount of energy consumed less in-house generation per unit of output)